Our house

Our house

Friday, January 28, 2011

Rural America

There are many things I love about living in a rural setting.  You know your neighbors, even if you have never spoken to them directly.  Its peaceful.  There is the kind of mindset that its your land, and you can do whatever the hell you want on it. You can survive no matter what happens, as long as you are willing to bend your back to a task. In the year since we have bought our 60 acres, I have raised a flock of chickens somewhat successfully, raised a flock of guineas, raised a Jack Russell and an Aussielab pup, and painted/ mildly remodeled my kitchen.  We have cleared part of our land for more pasture for the five horses, and to grow our own hay.  We are not survivalists or part of a religious cult, its all part of the challenge of seeing what you can do yourself.  I am glad that we are going in this direction since the cost of groceries are going up and my pay is not.  My next project this spring is a garden (even if its just tomatoes and green beans) and trying to learn to can this summer and fall. 

One thing that makes us different from a lot of people here is our political beliefs.  My husband is a dyed-in-the-wool democrat, and I would say most of my leanings are there as well, but I have more of an a la carte system where I decide how I feel about each issue and pick the guy that fits that best.  So far the last few years its been democratic.  My husband is a transplanted Yankee, to which many of the "polite" people from the south have shown their famous hospitality! 

I, however, am a southern girl through and through, although I don't wear camoflauge clothing and say "You go girl!" to all my girlfriends, get a fake tan, have big hair.  I enjoy hot southern days ending with the sound of cicadas buzzing while sitting on the front porch, drinking tea, and swatting mosquitos.  I love how southern people can tell you 15 ways to get somewhere and each and every road by number, and have the ability to have an entire conversation around it.  I love how beautiful old ladies look after church in their floral dresses and hats.  I love walking barefoot comfortably in April. I love how little old men will still get up when you come in a room because you are assumed to be a lady.  I like fishing and spending the day on the lake.  I love really good biscuits with butter and brown sugar.  I love that church is still the center of social life (although I am currently not a member anywhere and haven't been to church in over a year).  I am proud of southern people who still go out and try to accomplish things- writers, artists, politicians, doctors, etc.- in the face of much ignorance, poverty, and backward thinking about education.  There are many things to dislike about the south, but I feel like embracing it just the same just because love for where you come from has to be unconditional. 

I tried to be fairly positive on this blog...  We will see where my mood takes me next!

No comments:

Post a Comment